Old 22-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Water Lillies (large reply)

"Larry Stoter" wrote

Umm .... Already have a bit of a problem early in the year with blanket
weed. Isn't adding 'fertilizer' for the lilly going to encourage the
blanket weed?

Only fertilizer in the water encourages Blanket weed, pushed in to the soil
it's OK.

OK - I'll drag the lillies out and pot then into larger containers. How
about putting some slow-release pellets in the pots?

Fine, but don't overdo it, new soil should be fertile enough. When I
mentioned Rabbit Pellets I was thinking about the Lily in your half barrel
where there, presumably, are no fish to provide natural and their normal
fertilizer.

Pond is ~1.5 m in the centre but slopes up and the lillies are probably
in 3-4 ft max depth of water. We did check the lables and all were
supposed to be suitable for 4ft plus.

What varieties are we talking about Larry?

OK, did you just drop them into that depth when you got them home or did you
gradually lower them down over some weeks from the depth at which you bought
them?

--
Regards
Bob