Old 22-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Papavar giganteum

On 18 Jul 2004 17:13:31 -0700, (Pen) wrote:

I've noticed a white seeded poppy, the packet says it's used for
halva. Is that P. somniferum as well?

Did they supply a recipe? I actually do see a recipe that says it
is Halva and uses poppy seed for garnish
[
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=84921 ]
but it doesn't resemble anything I'd call Halva.

The traditional Halva[h] that I've eaten is mostly sesame seeds. [and
egg albumen if memory serves].

I'm sure it's made differently around the world-- but here's a recipe
that looks like what I've eaten [though without the egg-- I'll check
the label next time I'm shopping];
2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup sesame tahini
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

cook the sugar and milk in sauce pan over medium heat to just under
soft ball stage, to 230F. Remove from fire and add tahini and vanilla.
Do not mix immediately. Let cool for 2 minutes. Beat with paddle or
spoon for a few seconds and pour quickly into a buttered pan.
xxxxxxxxxxx

Jim