Old 01-02-2003, 12:08 AM
Fringe Ryder

Default Will I regret not having a skimmer?

sez:
I forgot... nets also keep fish from jumping to their death. and predators are
always an issue if the pond is outside. I dont even see the fine netting anymore,
but then the health of my fish are more imporant than aesthetics for me. I suppose
one of these years there will be enough sludge in the bottom that I will have to
clean it, but I one of those dont like to put holes in my pond at the very bottom
where if it leaks there would be no water left for my fish. Ingrid

I'm with you. I -had- netting (see my web site for shots with and
without), but settled for fishing line to protect the fishies.

My fear with bottom drains is identical to yours. Getting the waterfall to
not leak was hard enough, and yet the water was supposed to know to go down
it, for example. Trying to make a leak-proof hole in the liner at the
bottom that will stay leakproof for years... too big an effort.

But I do have, in addition to my big pump that runs the waterfall, a small
box filter in the bottom of the larger non-veggie pond. Perhaps that's why
a drain hasn't been needed.