Old 22-07-2004, 02:10 AM
Pam Gibbs

Default Eggs, Fish and Frogs

Okay, the eggs on the plants in the kiddy pool apparently are two different
things. Some of them look just like baby guppies, so I am guessing they are
some kind of fish. They swim like fish. They are greyish and well, they
look like guppies to me. I called the farm store and they said some fat
head minnows were in the tank with the plants I bought..

The others just keep getting longer and blacker with one end round and the
other end flat. The ones that are hatched flutter around a bit and hang
vertically from the plants to rest.

I netted out everything that moved and put them in a tub with a water lily.
I put the plants with eggs I could see in the tub too. Everything else
gets some of that PP stuff as soon as my husband gets home with it.. I got
rid of the snails with some lettuce leaves.

Will the little fish and tadpoles eventually eat mosquito larvae or should I
put a mosquito dunk in the tub?

I went outside with a flashlight last night and watched the frog that
moved into the pond the day after we filled it up. I've seen him a couple
of times early in the morning but he disappears as soon as he sees me,
He's big for a frog I think, and sounds different than the two over by the
kiddy pool. He's not so loud, mostly grayish green with huge eyes. I
think he lives in the mud underneath the pickeral weed. If so, he probably
has been there for a year, because we grew the pickeral weed in an old sink
last summer and I didn't repot it. I just picked it up and moved it into
the pond.

Anyway thanks for the advice on the PP stuff and all the other help.