Old 22-07-2004, 04:02 AM
paghat

Default Bush intel?

In article , Mark
Anderson wrote:

In article says...
But it was NOT a
generation of dopefiend draft dodgers vs baby killers. It was just our
generation, & the real division were the Haves who could get out of having
to go all or could go as officers, & the Have-nots who had no choice.

I don't think being an officer in Vietnam was any picnic either as they
got killed in large numbers too -- especially fresh Lietenants right out
of ROTC or one of the military acadamies. Recently I read "The Long Gray
Line" written by Rick Atkinson that documents the West Point class of
1966, the West Point class that lost the most people to the Vietnam war.
Former general Wesley Clark happened to be valedictorian of that class
BTW but he was not mentioned much in the book. Many of that class
organized and raised money to build the Vietnam war memorial in
Washington DC which the book describes. One of the officers of that
class, after he returned from Vietnam, apparently did get spit on at an
airport once when he was walking through wearing his uniform.

Point well taken. Even Kerry got wounded, & he was a rich kid. He had a
choice though; the boys on my block had no choice, & I guess that has
never stopped bothering me. Presently it's bothering me that guys in my
current neighborhood, who thought they were done after twelve years of
service, are being called back. They're not complaining very loud, but
they haven't looked happy.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: