Old 22-07-2004, 08:05 AM
George

Default Trees and ponds

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
om...
This may be years in the coming, but if by chance liners go on sale around
my birthday - ya never know. The only place we really have, short of
totally full sun is under the canopy of several Live Oaks and Pin Oak.
1) Anyone know rules of thumb about how far away from the base you would
have to be to not disturb the 'tap roots?'.
2) What concerns are there about any trees, shrubs etc puncturing the liner.
3) This exposure would pretty much just be diffused light. Aside from
leaves and slow/limited plant growth any other negatives I'm not thinking
about?
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas (8b)

The leading edge of my pond is located at the edge of the canopy of a large pin
oak. I made sure to clip any roots along the excavation wall, and used a thick
tarp to line the wall before installing the pond liner, to make sure that it
didn't get punchered by any roots I missed. The pond has been inground for two
years now with no problems, and the pin oak provides plenty of shade for at more
than half of the day. The only problem is with leaves in the fall. But at that
time, I use a net over the pond to keep the leaves out.