Old 22-07-2004, 08:06 AM
George

Default Trees and ponds

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks for the thoughts Nedra - I probably am leaning that way. The leaves
are going to be a problem in any case. My little pond is already in the
fartherst location so a new pond would still get plenty of leaves blowing
in. Depth I'm not sure of depth. I know everyone sez bigger is better but
I do like the economies of smaller pumps, filters, water changes, meds etc.
Probably will just have to investigate. May be like that around the country
but around here you pretty much expect to run into rock below about 2 feet -
5 would probably be quite an accomplishment unless a couple of them were
above ground. In fact we just had our pond tour this week end and I dont
think I saw a pond over about 3 1/2-4 ft. Well the creative process has
started anyway.
Thanxx
Bill

If you are unsure of the depth to bedrock at your location, but have reason to
believe that it is shallow, you can do one of two things cheaply. First, you
can pick up a piece of scrap metal re-bar somewhere and drive it into the ground
with a 3 lbs mallet or a sledge hammer until it will go no farther, and measure
the depth. Alternatively, you can rent a hand auger at a tool rental shop and
auger down as far as you can go, then measure the depth. I prefer the second
method, as you can see the soil and weathered rock as you auger down and make a
better estimation of when you've reached bedrock. In most cases you will likely
encounter weathered rock before you actually encounter bedrock, but you should
be able to reach within a foot or less, so these are good, cheap ways to make an
estimation before you decide to build. Good luck.