Old 22-07-2004, 08:07 AM
john.morgan

Default Snail and slug killer/birds + PS Ants.

Peter wrote in message
We have noticed that the blackbirds normally that frequent
our garden seem to give it a miss when we have used
metaldhyde in the form of slug pellets or when applied in
liquid form, however small the area or however few the

pellets.

Blackbirds and thrushes will eat the bodies of any slugs you
may have killed and then suffer secondary poisoning. This
may not necessarily kill them in their turn, but they can
become much easier prey for cats and other suburban
predators, like a drunk is much easier to hit with a car
compared to a sober pedestrian.

Eventually other blackbirds will find your garden, and hang
out there until you decide it's time to poison them with a
few more slug corpses.

By contrast, the house sparrows seem to increase in number
when there is metaldehyde about.

If your garden is small and you feed the birds (on something
non-poisonous), the presence of larger Blackbirds might have
acted as a deterrent to Sparrows.

Have you tried catching slugs in a pitfall trap baited with
beer? Or get a toad or a hedgehog to take up residence.

John Morgan