Old 22-07-2004, 09:14 AM
sarah

Default OIl tank - OT, but it's a garden feature

Janet Galpin wrote:

The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:07:41 +0100, Janet Galpin wrote:

I'm not sure whether to replace it with another steel tank or a
plastic one.

Is this for domestic use only oil? If there is any hint of commercial
use (say the property is also a B&B or Holiday Let) or if the stored
quantity is avove 2500l (I think) then the regulations have changed
and you will have to fit a bunded tank.

Personally I wouldn't even think of fitting a steel tank, even if you
can still get them. Plastic are fine but check the current regulations
regarding bunding and siting, distance from building openings etc.
Plastic tanks are available with built in bunds but will need support
over their entire base area unlike a steel tank.

Thanks for the various suggestions that plastic is best.
I was all set to go for a plastic one but the chap who is likely to fit
it mentioned two disadvantages. One is that when they go, they go quite
suddenly and leak fast rather than seeping gently like steel tanks.
Second is that he can't dispose easily of old plastic tanks whereas
steel ones can be taken to a scrap merchant. He implied that the life
expectancy of a plastic tank is not much better than a steel one, though
I didn't ask him directly.
However, not needing to paint it is a strong argument in my mind.
I assume bunding is a kind of reinforcement. The bunded ones seem a lot
more expensive. Mine will be a long way from any building, but should I
consider a bunded tank for length of life?

Bunding is not reinforcement in the sense I think you mean, it's a
design that ensures a leak from the tank will not seep out and
contaminate the surrounding area. 'Seeping gently' is very^16 bad news
these days -- if your steel tank fails like that you'll have to pay for
disposal and replacement of all the contaminated soil, which can cost
UKP000s depending on area and might also affect subsequent sales of your
property if it is registered as contaminated. Whatever tank you get,
ensure it's mounted in such a way that you will *see* ASAP if it's
leaking.

What he says above, too: you should check that the installer is
up-to-date on all the regs regarding the citing of oil tanks; if memory
serves, for example, they have to be 1m (or is it 2m?) from any
boundary, and there's a minimum distance from windows and air intakes,
too. You might be able to find someone willing to disregard this, but
then the installation will be uninsurable.

No disrespect to the chap you've spoken to, but you should ask him
directly about the lifespan of plastic tanks (after all, you're paying
him) and get second opinions from other installers. Check to see which
brands are recommended -- FWIW ours is a Titan, and has sat patiently in
a corner for well over ten years with no painting needed -- and be sure
to get a good quality valve fitted, one with a proper filter to stop
bits of earwig getting into the oil pipe. New hazardous waste regs
undoubtedly affect the disposal of dead plastic tanks, but that's some
years away and you'll probably soon be paying to dispose of the tins
from the paint you'd use on the steel tank.

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.