Old 22-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Martin Brown

Default Greenhouse running costs

In message , Douglas
writes

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

That is true, and some cold hardy cacti can be protected from several
degrees of dry frost provided that they are nicely desiccated and kept
dry with a thick sugary sap. Ironically some of the hardest cacti to
grow in the UK are also nominally cold hardy but they also need zero
humidity.

Problem solved!. At last! - it's a dream come true. I'm going to be a rich
man! (\:^)
I might sow some tomato seeds now to be ready for Christmas!.

Perfectly possible. I have seen tomato plants that are several years old
and have cropped continuously for their entire life. They become huge!

All I need to know is the chemicals I have to mix into my watering can.
Ten percent for he who delivers the goods.

The Icelanders do it too and have bananas in some greenhouses. But then
they have heaps of low grade heat from free geothermal energy to spare.
I suspect artificial light it crucial in winter though.

Even in my greenhouse tomatoes in November is quite possible. They tend
not to ripen properly after that due to lack of sun and rot due to damp.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown