Old 22-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Martin Brown

Default OIl tank - OT, but it's a garden feature

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Janet Galpin
writes
I have a rusty steel oil storage tank which I want to replace because I
have a horror of it springing a leak and flooding the garden with oil.
I'm not sure whether to replace it with another steel tank or a plastic
one. Any thoughts about the merits or drawbacks of either type?

I may be wrong about this, but if the tank is for storing heating oil,
there can be Local Authority safety standards to comply with. It might
be as well to check with them first before deciding what to purchase.

Where I live everyone that has replaced their oil tank has chosen a
plastic one to replace it. They seem to be well pleased with them. I
don't much like their shape but sooner or later my steel tank will
require replacement.

What do people reckon are the best ways to disguise one of these ugly
brutes? Hammerite deep green heavy metallic makes my steel one look
almost OK against vegetation. The flat top collects water though..

Regards,
--
Martin Brown