Old 22-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Karen

Default how to move flower, rose&grape to new house

Michelle wrote in message . ..
I was wondering I need to move a whole bunch of flowers my self
becaus I am buying a new house.
I have lots of lilies day lilies and asiatic lilies some cannas and
roses i just love too much to leave or are hard to find how do I go
about keeping these until spring do I need to digg them up and get
them in new house before freeze? like spring bulbs crocus or
hyasenths or tulips or should I let them dry and save them until
spring

Fall is the best time to move plants in my zone 5 though I've been
told spring is the best time. But in our area, we change from leather
jacket to T-shirt in a week. The spring is simply too short to get
your tools out.

Lilies don't have big root, you can move them any time you want in
your zone. (Since you have to winter protect your cana lily, I assume
you're in zone 6 and below).

You can dig out crocus, tulips and Hyacinth anytime from now till
ground freeze. The hard part is to locate them and dig them out
without cutting them in half. Since they're "cheap", I wouldn't go
through the trouble. I'd rather buy them at end of planting season for
at 80% off price.

Leave the rose and grape alone, you have a good chance killing them.
Buy them at off season if you want. The 2 gallon container flowering
roses are on sale at $3 (Austin English roses, Morden line, canadian
explorers, Peace ...) in my area Home Depot now.