Old 22-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Max Wright

Default Cavolo Nero

In message , danw
writes
Max,

Think kale; 45 - 60cm between plants is a typical recommendation.
I've always cut, rather than pulled, the leaves (and, in spring, the
flowering stalks), a few at a time, starting late August/early
September from a late April/early May sowing. But I'm sure you can
start cutting earlier if the leaves seem big enough and you don't
take too many. They can get pretty tough, I find.

thanks very much fir the advice. I guess I need to thin mine out a bit
then. Would it be too late to do that now? (they're about 30cms tall or
so).

You don't say what the current spacing is but if I were you I'd thin to
45cm - eating the thinnings, of course. (If I were me I might only give
them 30cm - I'm always trying to get away with growing things closer
than they should be, on the basis that though the individual plants may
turn out smaller you'll get more yield per unit area.) Anyway, no, I'm
sure it isn't too late, assuming that you do mean thinning, and not
transplanting.

--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop