Old 22-07-2004, 05:23 PM
flower faerie

Default Garden re-think. Help please

Pam Moore wrote:

I have a request for advice. My garden needs a rethink.
I have a small garden, 27feet by 15 feet. Yes, that small!

Due to macular degeneration I am losing central vision and am in the
process of being registered partially sighted. My peripheral vision
is normal but doesn't help to see fine detail.
Things are rather overgrown and I am having trouble keeping things
under control. I need to replace the invasive things.
Also I don't seem to have enough colour.

I have some reasonable shrubs and climbers, but would like advice
about things I can plant which are not invasive, will flower for
longer than a couple of weeks, and are good tempered, well behaved,
and if possible, fragrant. I suppose I am thinking of mainly
herbaceous things which clump but don't spread.
I have difficulty weeding, pinching and dead-heading.
I get a reasonable amount of sun and have alkaline soil.
I'm south of Bristol.

In your experience what fulfils such conditions in your garden?
BTW I have never grown anything thorny and certainly don't want thorns
now. Hence my only rose is Zephrine Drouhin.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Pam in Bristol

Try a budleia they have really nice flowers that are very fragrant.
Dont buy one though if you walk around Bristol docks (hotwells end) you
can get some cuttings or wait a couple of months and collect loads of seeds

ff.