Old 22-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Kay

Default Flowering peas

In article , Spider
writes

Kay wrote in message
The asparagus pea thread has reminded me of the lovely flowers of some
of the pea family

My discovery this season is Lathyrus belinensis, buttery yellow flowers
with upper petals veined in brick red - for pic see

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed...s/lathyrus.htm

Last year it was L chloranthus - a slightly acid pale greeny yellow, and
L sativus v azureus - a very steely blue.

Hi Kay,
That's a beautiful pea. I assume it's an annual. Roughly what size are the
flowers?

Well, to my surprise they are 2.5 to 3cm tall. They don't look that big!
The upper petal is disproportionately large, and the whole flower is
narrower, so the overall effect is of a smaller flower than the modern
day sweet peas.

It's from S Turkey. 'Seeds by size' list it as a perennial, but they
also list L chloranthus as a perennial and that hasn't overwintered for
me. L sativus otoh has reappeared this year, though it hasn't yet
flowered.

I've been very pleased with Lord Anson's Pea (T&M), a blue flowering
perennial. It's great for adding height to the blue and yellow part of my
border. I'm going to buy it an obelisk for next year, instead of the
evergreen stakes it's on now.

aka Lathyrus nervosus?

http://www.lathyrus.com/species.htm

Blue perennial pea sounds interesting.