Old 22-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Matt

Default Novice Question.

Alot depends on how soon you would like to plant in these beds. Are you
looking to plant them now or this fall, or are you willing to wait till next
spring? If you can wait till spring, I would just cover each bed with
several layers of newspaper, wet it all down good, then cover with 6" or so
of compost or manure. In a few months, you will have great soil for a new
bed with little manual labor. If you are looking to plant these beds
immediately, then either hand pull the weeds or spray it all down with
roundup and wait for them to die. Then till in several inches of compost
and plant. If the existing soil is relatively loose and not compacted, then
tilling wouldn't be necessary, just top-dress with some compost. The use of
hot-composted or sterilized compost will help keep new weed growth down.
good luck,
Matt in MI

"Santos D. Santiago" wrote in message
Hello All,

I have a very novice question. I have three flower beds in my house.

Right
now they are in very bad shape, they don't have any flowers only weeds and
grass. I want to resurrect these flower beds if you will. My question is
what is the best method to getting rid of the grass/weeds and getting the
beds ready for planting. I am aware that I will have to use a tiller to

get
the soil nice and ready but do I have to kill the grass first w/Roundup

lets
say? If so how long do I have to wait before I till the ground and plant?

I also would like to know what is the best thing to do to prevent grass &
weeds from growing there again. Should I put tons of mulch, fabric?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

--
SDSantiago
Milwaukee, WI