Old 22-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Wendy

Default Let's Start a Good Idea, Tips Thread.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:06:42 -0600, Susan Erickson wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:46:41 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

I've been using a large tub used to mix small batches of concrete for a
potting tub. Holds a lot of medium. Also makes a nice tray to cart potting
materials around in. (Stakes, bark mix, wires, pots, cutters, torch - you
know... all the "stuff") I used to put this stuff in a kitty litter pan,
but it just wasn't large enough.

K Barrett

A second "cement tub" makes a great waste basket. Unpot over it.
Dump all the old mix in, now you can cart it away at the end of
the day. Unless your one who uses "used orchid bark" for ground
cover mulch. In which case you only need the waste basket to
help you move the new "mulch" to the correct area of the garden.

I used to have a potting bench that used these tubs for drawers.
Top one was for the waste basket - the bench had a stuff hole so
you could wipe everything in to like a cook does with the
vegetable scraps. Second drawer was the current mix. Third was
the mounts that were waiting for a new plant. It gave way to 3
shelves of Paphs.... So now the mix is in Cat litter buckets.
One for moss, one for peanuts (bottom of the pots or slatted
basket fill), sponge rock, CHC (2 sizes) Charcoal,.. [Several
years of cats and a saving style - what can I say.] The handle
makes it easy to move. Reasonable to use in a tight area. Of
course there are the big keepers else where.
SuE

Good stuff Sue, Another good container for waste is one of those
large kitchen trash bins with the step on peddle that opens the lid.
I also liked your idea of using newspaper?(I think you mentioned
this to me at one time)??
Cheers Wendy (Wondering when this post is going to drop off??)