Old 22-07-2004, 07:37 PM
George

Default Fish feeding

"Bob Koerber" wrote in message
how wrote:

"2pods" wrote in message

I've been given two shubunkins and a grass carp to put in our pond.
Having never kept fish before, how much and how often should they be fed ?
snip

Hi,
Where did you say you lived? Make sure they are legal to possess.
following quoted from http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/hydcirc.html
begin quote
"Grass carp is a herbivorous fish that is effective for controlling hydrilla
(Van Dyke et al. 1984). Possession of this fish is illegal in most states
because of the potential environmental damage that could result if escaped
fish establish a breeding population. Sterile, triploid grass carp (Malone
1984) are also effective (Cassani and Caton 1986) and are now available and
legal by permit in some states in the U.S. In small ponds or lakes and canal
systems, with adequate control structures, and where total removal of
vegetation is acceptable,"
end quote
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Also your grass carp will grow quite large I have 2 triploid (Legal in
Alabama) in my 1/3+ acre pond weighed about 8 ounces when I put them in 2
years ago and caught one by accident fishing for bluegill the other day and he
weighed about 3 pounds.

Bob

You call that big? My two year old albino channel cat weighs 6 lbs and there is
no end in sight!