Old 22-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Newbie Bill

Default filter cleaning

In a still wind, my pond always seems to have that slight fishy smell, not
sewer or sulfur like, just fish trip on your hands and clothes smell.
(Which I havent done for years, but remember) Yes my water parameters are
excellent and bottom pretty clean, but I do have slight concerns about
aneroabic (sp?) bacteria in one of my filters. It is just a storage tote
with a foam mattress pad stuffed in it. When I cleaned it, 2-3 months ago
now, there were folds with stinky gunk and blood worms. I have read passing
comments about dead spots in filters. Mine might be a candidate for that
since I did put a couple of 'path of least resistance pipes' near the bottom
to make sure it didnt gunk up, overflow and drain the pond. What u thank?
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Kristen wrote Just wondering if there was a general rule of thumb for

how
often to clean
out the pond filter.

Another thing is to watch the *ewww du pond* smell. If it is bad, you need

clean earlier. If it smells like fresh river water you're okay and

watching the
spitter is a good indication.

kathy :-)
algae primer