Old 22-07-2004, 08:03 PM
fudge

Default Papavar giganteum

Thanks for the replies, I#m no nearer but, grocery store Poppy seeds
will not germinate, they are dried to death, and are sterile,
otherwise, if the sat on the shelf for too long and got damp they
would begin to germinate, Papavar Giganteum, and Sominferum both have
high yealds of Opium, which is the stuff Iam after, and as far as I'm
aware although they say on the seed packet all parts are poisenes, all
parts of the Opium Poppy are quite edible, althogh not tried grinding
up the Pod and Stalk to make Poppy tea, as as I've heard they will
give you a Jip stomack.
Cheers
Fudge

"Ken Anderson" wrote in message ...
"Steve" wrote in message

Katra wrote:

Question: Isn't it illegal to cultivate P. somniferum anywhere in the
United States? So why do they sell the seeds at the seed stores??

I've wondered that for years. I read an article in a garden magazine
that told about growing them. It said it was for people in Europe
because in the US they were not legal to grow. Right after that, I
saw them for sale in a Thompson & Morgan catalog.
I ordered some and grew them for about 2 years. I grew them in a
flower bed right near the street too. They were pretty. I got
compliments.

Steve

T & M bowed to U.S. pressure, and two years ago quit selling their "Hens and
Chicks" P. Somniferum. I wonder how much good that really did, other than
making some bureaucrats look like crusaders. Just another example of our
effective govenment.

You can grow poppies, just don't harvest the opium, as I understand it.