Old 22-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Boron Elgar

Default What Animals Eat Green Tomatoes ?

On 22 Jul 2004 14:00:22 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

In article uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-HqDnNWlEYDp2@poblano,
Stan Goodman wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:06:04 UTC,
(Al Dykes) opined:

I don't think I've seen this before. My tomatoes are getting big, but
still mostly hard and green. In the last couple mornings I've found
half-eaten tomatoes a few feet from the bushes.

We've got lots of squirrels, and a few raccoons and possums here.

No birds larged enough to carry a tomato.

Any ideas ?

I would vote for rats.

Interesting. I'm in a woodland area that hasn't changed much in a
decade, and there's never been a rat problem.

Does anyone have any suggestion for how to get a clue ?

I have had chipmunks eating my green tomatoes. I have put mousetraps
around the plants. I cannot tell you if I am as yet fully successful,
though, but I have cut down somewhat, as I am not seeing them in the
garden the past few days.

Then there is the dastardly groundhog going after my herbs...

Rats can be anywhere, of course, but I do believe you would notice
something other than the gnawed tomatoes, and as you say, nothing has
changed near your home. Two years ago we had major construction in the
woods near our house and the township said that rats were around. We
had to treat, at our own expense, but never saw a rat. We did see a
few muskrats near the stream, though, and have a feeling that some
unfamiliar homeowners panicked.

Boron