Old 23-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Brent Harsh

Default Hydrangeas not blooming

Jo wrote:
Mine just started to bloom two days ago.

I had cut mine down as well.

Interesting - I did not cut the big blue hydrangeas down at all last
year, and mine are very much over for the season now. They started in
early June along with the gardenias. I had a full crop (4 or 5 bushes
at least 25 years old in front of my house). I fertilized with the
x-tone (holly-, tree-, plant-?? don't recall) recommended for acid
loving plants in the fall and put a couple buckets of mir-acid on them
in the spring.

I was thinking of pruning them back as soon as all the blooms are gone
(any day now) because they do bloom on old-wood and I'd like to get a
good "first-year" growth going before fall/winter sets in. They are
getting pretty ragged and lanky since I didn't trim them at all last
year. Does anyone think that sounds right?

Jo

"Bluebee Sky" wrote in message

This is the second year since I have had these blue hydrangeas(2
plants). They were flowering at the time I bought them at Home Depot
last year. I had cut them to ground in fall. Now they have good foliage
on them(about the size they were last year), but there is not a single
bloom or any sight of it.

What's going on? Will they bloom this year?

BB(wanting to see blooms in my hydrangeas)

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.