Old 23-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Bernie

Default [IBC] Shaping and Pruning Juniperus Chinensis

Thank you Alan for your advice. I am open to gaining bonsai knowledge
from any sources I can find. However as I have said the trouble with
books seems to be that they all say something different. No two
authors seem to agree on anything!

Can I take the example of Koi keeping for instance. All Koi books will
advise you not to feed Koi over the winter months in an unheated pool.
All books state this because it is a known and accepted fact in
keeping Koi that if they are fed in winter the food may just rot, and
cause infections.

Now let us consider the bonsai books. When do you prune Juniper
Chinensis to shape. One book says winter, another says late summer,
another says autumn is best, yet another says anytime of year will do.

So what am I to beleive? Without consensus this gives me the
impression that as a complete beginner, that even experts don't even
know when to prune a tree which is supposed to be one of the easiest
for outdoor bonsai culture.

At least using a forum if someone tells me to feed my trees well over
the winter dormant period, I am sure lots of people will respond with
messages warning me this is bad advice.

This is why I will rather look to my friends on the forum to help and
advise me.

Can I again say that I am very encouraged by the offers of help and
advice I received here in a very short time. I have posted this
question on other forums days ago and nobody answered my question.

So again thank you very much to all the helpful members here. your
advice is very much welcome and appreciated. Without help at the
beginning, I am sure nobody would ever have advanced their bonsai
skills.

Thank you again,

Bernie