Old 23-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Limnophile

Default key requirements for good plant growth

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
"tropical freshwater plants" wrote in message

snip

Hi there TFP
First off, I think you need more light. If my sums are correct you have

just
under 1 watt per gallon. I would go higher than this, try for 2wpg, or at
least 1 1/2 wpg. Bottom line: add more light.
What kind of substrate do you have?
You should start adding co2 along with the increase in lighting. This will
help tremendously. Google DIY CO2 for more info.
The slimey algae you speak of is called Cyanobacteria aka BGA or blue

green
algae. IME this seems to pop up when phosphates and Nitrates are out of
whack! I would start adding some Nitrates if I were you, your plants are
hungry. One heaped teaspoon in your tank once or twice a week should be
fine.
Stop using carbon in the filters, let the plants do all the work for you,
carbon is just removing stuff that the plants enjoy.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Phosphates and nitrates are rarely the limiting factors for aquarium plant
growth. Most fish tanks have more than enough already. Potassium and iron
are the chemicals that should be added. ( They may be listed on fertilizer
bottles as chelated iron and potash. )

I agree with the rest of your post though. Carbon can be bad in plant
tanks, 2 watts per gallon is about right, and if the tank has bright enough
lights CO2 can help plant growth quite a bit.

Limnophile