Old 23-07-2004, 05:04 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default What is the best way to kill ants?

"Yakman" wrote in message
I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a border all
round. I have had a problem with many ants over the past few years. This
year though there seems to be more than ever, coming from 5 or six

sources.

What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

I have tried Nippon and boiling water, but to no avail.

Many thanks.

Here are another couple of viable options:

(1) force them to read all the various ramblings of this thread - deadly but
very slow and incredibly inhumane ;-)

(2) local application of Ant Stop - manufactured by Scotts of Godalming.
This is sold as a long term ant deterrent for indoor use (up to 3 months
deterrence).
Nasty stuff - contains microgranules of an anticholinesterase
organophosphate compound which are supposed to be carried away by ants and
then kill them by contact and ingestion.
Direct spraying also kills.
Usual warnings about fish and bees and food.
So far I have used local applications outside to cracks in the patio where
ants are building nests, and it seems very effective when sprayed around the
holes where they go in and out.
I have not yet used it around my roses, each of which has an ants nest
building a tower up around the stem above the graft. I am reluctant to use
it near growing things.
However this is the year of the ant (as well as the year of the bindweed) so
my 'laissez faire' attitude has given way to high tech. clinical strikes.

In summary, although it is mainly aimed at 'in the home' it does say 'in and
around the home' and has proved surprisingly effective.

HTH
Dave R