Old 24-07-2004, 12:02 AM
paghat

Default Food for bees

In article , () wrote:

In article ,
dps wrote:

One other note: I'm not a beekeeper, but it's my understanding
that the bees ignore stuff within about 50 feet of the hive,
since that's their dumping area. So there's no special need for
specific replacement plants in that area.

I doubt that is true since bees are quite happy to take sugar
water place that close to their hives.

Bees have a flight language to communicate to other bees where they found
good stuff. According to The Dance Language & Orientation of Bees, by Karl
von Frisch, the figure eight flight pattern means "close to the hive," &
repeating the figure eight several times in succession means "Oh my god
LOTS of nectar close to the hive."

Also, while honeybees hunt a great distance, most of our gardens are
pollinated by smaller sorts of bees which have surprisingly finite hunting
areas, often not even going as far as the other side of the garden!

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com