Old 24-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Can ants cause structural damage?

In article ,
Matthew Durkin wrote:

I seem to have a large ant population living somewhere under the front of
the house. They are throwing out quite large amounts of sand / soil.
Can they cause structural damage to the house? They ventured into the house
earlier this year, but some ant stop spray stopped them right away. Now I'm
just worried about them damaging the house.
On the front yard (paved) they seem to appear by making holes surrounded by
sand/earth from the edges of the paving.

Vanishingly unlikely. Even on an older house, the foundations are
likely to be 18" deep, and few ants nests go down much more. In the
UK, that is - the same does NOT apply in the tropics!

They can disturb paving, but even that is rare, because they usually
leave enough soil to support it. If the large nest under the house
is causing a major nuisance, then using a borax-based killer will
destroy the nest. Not quickly, but eventually. You could also try
pouring a few gallons of boiling water into it, which will reduce
its size at least.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.