Old 24-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Ray

Default Phalaenopsis finished flower, new leaf growing

Personally, I would wait to see if it starts yellowing below the "Y". If so, cut it off at the
base.

..
"Frank" wrote in message
om...
Dear All,

My first orchid, a Phalaenopsis, has finished its blooming, a pair at
a time for the past 5 months. Now a new leaf has started growing at
the center. It grows quite fast. Just a few weeks, it is almost the
half of the mature leaf size. I saw two new green roots forming at the
bottom as well.

The flower spike is Y shaped with both arms pointing toward one side.
The top arm starts to dry up and turn to a brownish wrinkly stick
while the other arm appears slower in this drying process. Should I
cut the spike all the way to the end? Or should I trim it at the node?
Above or below the node? If above the node, which arm to cut?

I like this orchid a lot and would like to take good care of it and
see more flowering. What operation should I do to better suit its
needs?

Thanks a lot,
Tiff