Old 24-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Clues on Fumigation

Claudio

Poisons should never be used in a preemptive way, but only if you have
a problem, and then only after attempting less serious methods.

I have never found it necessary to use poisons on a Bonsai. I am able
to remove the insects/bugs from the individual plants by hand or by pruning
away the affected areas.

When you say "fumigation" in the United States it refers to filling an
indoor area such as a home or greenhouse with "fumes" or gases that kill
every living animal in the place. This is usually only used to treat homes for
termites or a greenhouse for a persistent problem on an entire crop.

Real "fumigation" makes it unsafe for people to enter the area for a
number of days. Workers applying fumigants usually wear elaborate protective
clothing, which may include portable breathing equipment.

In a message dated 7/23/2004 6:53:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I have two questions about fumigation:
First; is it right to make it in a preemptive way? If so, could anybody
explain me when to make it and against what kind of
insects/fungi/spiders/etc
and with what agents? And another question about the use of oil based
pesticides
against spiders and aphids: Is it safe for our bonsai to use them? Does
it affect in any way our soil if it becomes wet with that kind of solution
(maybe the water retention)?
Thank you all.
Claudio Fierro Neudörfer

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislik of Whitefish, Montana, Chase Rosade of New Hope,
PA, and Ben Oki of California.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++