Old 24-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Gale Pearce

Default a challenge for the rec.ponds experts

Hi Kathy - IMHO, you can't keep a liner white without pool chemicals - algae
is going to form on the liner and rocks and any folds, nooks and crannies
etc no matter how often you scrub it. I think this is why a new pond takes
so long to balance itself as it forms the algae on surfaces in the pond and
the bacteria sets up on it as compared to a pond a few yrs old. Assuming you
managed to keep the liner scrubbed white, you will likely need a UV and a
good BIO filter. Interesting....... can't wait to hear if this is possible
just my $.02 worth
Gale :~)
"Ka30P" wrote in message

Okay people, I've got a challenge for you!

I've been noodling around the web looking for information
about various pest deterrents and I found an interesting post.
So I emailed this nice person and we've been exchanging emails.

She found a white EPDM liner at an auction and would like to
use it in a koi pond. That's right white!

Now the idea is that the koi will show up loverly against the white and

our
challenge that I put before you is how to do that.

Now I'm thinking....
a bottom drain and skimmer, of course, and a nice long handled soft brush

and a
commitment to maintenance.

But for the stuff that doesn't go through the bottom drain and caught in

the
skimmer and we want to keep this water crystal clear what do you all

suggest as
far as filtering, really polishing the water?

Have at it!

kathy :-)
algae primer