Old 25-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Peltigera Peltigera is offline
Registered User

Location: Lincoln, UK
Default Sweet Corn Botany

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Appleton
Whilst picking my first sweet corn the other day I noticed some seeds
growing at the base of the male flowers.

If the top flowers are male and the cobs are female, what is the botanical
theory behind these ‘seeds’.

Would they be viable (if they weren't F1 hybrids, which they are).

Would they be identical genetically to the ‘female’ seeds?
You can't get seeds growing on the male flowers and I've never noticed anything rsembling seeds on teh male flowers.

On the F1 thing, seeds from an F1 hybrid are viable, they just don't come anything like true to parental form.