Old 25-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Kay

Default For Phil L

In article , David Hill david@abacusn
urseries.freeserve.co.uk writes

The next is Reply,.......... this sends your reply to the sender only.
So I will spell it out for you, one replies to the thread, the other replies
to the sender.

My newsreader does the same - but the point is that it attaches the
reply to the post you are reading when you reply. So if A answers a
question, B replies, C reads B's post and hits 'reply', then C's message
gets attached to B's even if C was addressing his comments to A's post
and ignoring anything B said. And that's what happened in this case as
far as I can see - you were C, answering A, but after reading B, so that
in a newsreader which threads posts, your post attached itself to the
reply, not to the OP.

No big deal, and I can't see quite why PhilL was so upset about it.

Though your habit of snipping the attribution and not quoting anything
that you're replying to does make it very difficult to understand what
you're replying to, and in that case hitting 'previous' takes you back,
not to the OP that your reply was addressed to, but to the second post,
which you weren't commenting on.

--
Kay