Old 25-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] transporting succulents and cacti

Anita and I are going to be spending part of our honeymoon in Arizona.
I'm looking forward to it because I've never seen that part of the
country. I grew up and have always lived in the northeast (New England,
Pennsylvania and New York) and have only been as far west as Dayton,
Ohio. Several things in particular I'm looking forward to seeing is the
landscapes. I've always known green landscapes. Although I am sure I
wouldn't want to live there, I would like to experience it firsthand.

I am also looking forward to seeing cacti growing in their native
environment. That will be a treat.

And, last but not least, I am looking forward to hitting a couple of
nurseries and finding cacti and succulents in sizes that you would pay
an arm and a leg for out here.

What we're planning to do is each get a box that is the maximum
dimensions the airline will allow for checked baggage, and using that as
our limit for bringing back plants, rocks, etc. One of my goals is to
find a fat ol' jade tree, maybe a couple of feet high and with a big
single trunk--3-4" or so. I am expecting that I'll unpot the tree and
remove a lot of the soil to reduce bulk and weight. If I were to remove
a good deal of soil to expose the root ball, and wrap the rootball in
plastic, (this would be true of any cacti I buy) would that be harmful
to the plant? I'm assuming that since they prefer dry conditions with
only occasional watering that having the roots exposed like that,
although wrapped up, will not be harmful. Any suggestions will be
helpful.

Craig Cowing
NY
zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++