Old 25-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Clues on Fumigation

Thank you all a lot for the feedback on that issue. I have lost
lotīs
of trees because of pests and donīt know exactly what the right
response to that problem is.

First, you need to be able to identify the pest itself. In North
America, we can buy several books that illustrate the various
pests, the damages they cause, and that suggest control methods.
I have to assume that the same will hold for Europe. However,
bugs is bugs (as they say) and some American websites may help:
Take a look at:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/index.html
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC_Insects
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/

to find information on insect species (or at least Genera) that
may be on your trees.

You also should get books (or visit websites) that have good
information on the trees you use for bonsai. Those books/sites
also will discuss pests. Note: Do NOT count on bonsai books to
give you particularly good info on tree species; get a technical
(perhaps forestry) publication on trees.

Maybe some of our European members know of European websites or
books????

I have noticed thta many trees next to my

home are infested, but nobody gives them treatment for that.
Maybe they
are the primary focus for my persistent infestations.

That's possible but on the other hand, if there are lots of big
plants around, bugs aren't too likely to go after small bonsai in
pots.

The BASIC procedure in control of insects and plant disease
around bonsai is to KEEP YOUR GROWING AREA CLEAN -- AND DRY.
This means to clear away all dead leaves, twigs, wash-out soil,
etc. from around your pots and KEEP it cleared. It also means
that pots MUST have legs so water can drain easily and they don't
sit in their own sludge. If there aren't legs on a training pot,
sit it up on a couple of boards, so there is space between the
bottom of the pot and the table -- or set it on a wire table.

The table should be flat, without a rim that holds water on the
surface of the table. It should dry rapidly after you water.
The wooden surface (if that's what you have) should NOT be
rotten. Rotting wood holds water and promotes growth of fungus.

Another preventative step: Water so you don't get leaves wet.
Spray spreads fungus. Once you get fungus, you have it.
Fungicides do little good after the fact. (In fact, fungicides
are almost the ONLY pesticide you can use ahead of time to
prevent infestation. But again, you should suspect the
likelihood of a specific type of fungus and only use the correct
fungicide -- which makes it a guessing game.)

Plants should be spaced several inches apart. Tree canopies
should NOT touch. plants should be exposed to sunlight and
breezes as often as possible and consistent with the species of
tree.

Follow these general guidelines with your plants and you should
have healthier bonsai -- no matter what the trees that grow
around you come down with.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++