Old 25-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Alan Gould

Default help in freezing runner beans

In article , Ros Butt
writes
Once again, it's coming to the season of busily freezing excess runners.
I've always blanched them, but I've read recently that there is no need to
blanch. Has anyone any experience of blanched versus unblanched? I'm not
even sure of the reason for blanching.

Many years ago we used to blanch vegetables to be frozen. We almost
never do that now because our methods of growing, harvesting and
freezing make it unnecessary. Commercial processors are obliged by law
to blanch food to be sold to the public, but home grown produce treated
properly should not need it.

Select only high quality fresh young produce for freezing. We grow all
ours organically and we think that is an advantage, but that doesn't
mean that non-organic fruit and veg. cannot be frozen. Prepare the beans
or whatever immediately after picking. If left, they can begin to
develop enzymes, lose vitamin C and deteriorate in other ways. Store
them packed flat in freezer bags, so that when they are taken out, they
will not be frozen together in a lump. It is better not to re-cook any
defrosted food, but surplus can be kept in the freezer compartment of a
fridge for a day or so.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.