Old 25-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Peltigera Peltigera is offline
Registered User

Location: Lincoln, UK
Default Tomatoes & soil ammendments

Quote:
Originally posted by Pat Kiewicz
Sue Clotere said:

What can we add to our soil to sweeten our tomatoes? We worked in
steer manure, chicken manure, and home made compost, at planting time.
Since then we have added blood meal, and more compost. The tomato size
is good and so is the flavor,but they lack the sweetnes that they had
in the past. Would be thankful for suggestions.
It occured to me after I postd above that you might be giving them too much nitrogen. That list of fertilizers looks impressive. Are the sugars that the plants produce going into green growth rather than ending up in the fruit?