Old 25-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Jack Harrison

Default OXFORD BUILDERS BACK OUT of animal research laboratory at Oxford. HOORAY another one bites the d

Too many miss the point. (sometimes quite deliberately in pursuit of their
views)

There are very few people who like the idea of killing animals for pleasure.
I and as do most civilised people, find the very idea abhorrent.

But sacrificing some animals for the greater good of another animal
species - humans - is a different matter altogether. Of course we need to
minimise the potential stress. But taking the argument its logical
conclusion, any predator animal, be it a lion, crocodile, human, must be
considered evil for the very reason that it is doing something that puts its
own survival before that of its prey. That is nonsense.

Of course, the true position is that if a lion does NOT kill other animals,
then it dies sooner than it needs to. If a human does NOT occasionally kill
other animals, it dies earlier than is necessary.

So isn't that exactly what humans are doing by experiments with animals? We
need/want to look after our own survival and the occasion arises when our
prey is just that - prey in the sense that killing these other animals helps
us stay alive longer.

Jack