Old 26-07-2004, 02:03 AM
DaveL

Default Mower won't mulch like it used to

News Man wrote:

You may have the blade mounted backwards or upside down. It happens. I
know (first-hand). It's easy to check.

I'm sure it happens, but I've checked that at least 3 or 4 times....

"DaveL" wrote in message
DaveL wrote:

Bob wrote:

"DaveL" wrote in message ...

I have tried all the following with no success:

You did many unnecessay things as far as your mulching problem is

concerned.

You said you changed the blade. There is a special mulching blade,
different from normal blades.

The new blade I tried was called a 'gator' blade.

The second thing is that the blade
must be kept very sharp for maximum effectiveness. By very sharp, I

don't
mean new blade sharp, because most new blades are not sharp. I mean
knife-like sharp. The edge doesn't hold long, so blades need to be
sharpened frequently.

I normally have the blades sharpened at the local hardware store. When
they are done, they have all the nicks ground out, but they are not
knife sharp. I'll have to see what kind of an edge I can get on them.

Well, I spent quite a bit of time and put the best edge I could on the
blades. They were not razor sharp, but there were knife edge sharp- I
wouldn't have wanted to run my finger down one.

Cleaned the deck again when I was working on the blades. Bearings are
all snug, there is no up and down or side to side play in the shafts.
The blades pass each other with about 1/4 inch clearance. The belt
appears OK, and I retensioned it.

No improvement. It's almost as if the airflow under the deck is blowing
the clipping into the ground down the middle of the deck. It leaves a
trail right down the middle. Multiple passes over the same area in
different directions only move the clippings around.

There has got to be something simple I am missing, but I sure can't
figure out what it is.......