Old 26-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] sudden increase of leaf loss of our fukien tree

David: OK, I suspected the quote might be inexact. The problem
is that there is a big difference between recommending a tree or
plant for indoor growing and a need to be grown indoors. When we
think about it, as common sense will tell us, there is no such
thing as a truly "indoor" plant. Growing plants indoors is man's
invention. All plants have originated and grown outdoors.
The problem is that we want to grow plants which are not
indigenous to our area. That includes tropical plants, such as
your Fukian Tea tree. Survival in unnatural climates, such as
tropicals in temperate areas or any plant indoors, requires more
than basic horticultural skills as a rule.
Some people cannot grow things outdoors, because they
have no access to any outdoor area at all or else the outdoor
area they do have is not secure enough to grow. Those people
will just have to commit to learn the advanced horticultural
skills needed to make the best of their situation. Fortunately,
that isn't all that hard to do.
I'm not going to try to discuss all the horticultural
variables involved in indoor growing. So, the bottom line is
that your Fukian Tea will do better outdoors when it is
sufficiently warm in your growing area. If you are in the
northern hemisphere below the Arctic Circle, you can grow it
outdoors now, and it will be better for your tree, because it
will have better light, humidity and air circulation than you can
provide indoors. Further, the idea that your Fukian Tea should
not be exposed to drafts is exactly backwards. It needs good air
circulation to reduce risk of fungus and other pest problems.
Alan Walker