Old 26-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default tomato vine borer

Pam Gibbs said:

Thank you!

I have applied BT now but I doubt it will help at this point..

These worms are in the vine--like squash vine borers. They are not eating
the leaves and they are not in the fruit. The have bored holes into the
vines and are tunnelling their way downward toward the ground. They are in
two of my creole tomato vines. I'm going to pull them up, bag them up,
and call my county agent tomorrow. I've never seen anything like this on
tomatoes before.

Must have still been half asleep. Missed the word 'vine' and just got 'tomato.'

I think you have stalk borers. Not effectively controlled by insecticides. Usual
habitat is tall, grassy weeds but sometimes attacks potatoes, tomatoes and
other garden plants. More likely to attack grains and corn.

Try slitting (or cutting back) the wilting stems to expose and destroy the borers.

http://www2.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/p...alk_borer.html
http://www.ipm.uiuc.edu/fieldcrops/insects/stalk_borer/

(attributed to Don Marti)