Old 26-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Water Feature

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in
:

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hi

Away to do a bit of a tidy up in the front garden. Going to be
putting in a small water feature.

Question is, do I pay £75 for one made of what appears to be plastic,
or pay ~£300 for a concrete one???

I don't think plastic will rot away, at least until you're sick of the
otters. Does the water prattle over their bodies? If not you can
paint them with yogurt and all the algae and mosses that make things
look aged will grow over them.

I have a resin gargoyle in my garden. It's had yoghurt, moss, horse
manure, you name it poured over it. It still looks as though it just
came out of the box: probably the only thing in the entire garden that
does *not* have moss growing over it!

I also have a couple of concrete lions and 2 imitation stone gargoyles
(Sam and Dave): all newer than the resin one, and all looking
approximately 150 years older!

300 quid for a concrete otter sounds like a lot. None of mine cost more
than 80 quid each, and they are quite nice.

Admittedly, there are loads of really horrible out of proportion twee
garden scultures about, but you can find nice affordable things if you
keep looking. My lions were from Barum Pottery's garden shop, and I
think the gargoyles were from Trago Mills and made by
http://www.devonstatuary.co.uk/.

Victoria