Old 26-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Water Feature

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote in message
Hi

Away to do a bit of a tidy up in the front garden. Going to be

putting in
small water feature.

Have decided on one with a couple of otters on it.

Question is, do I pay £75 for one made of what appears to be

plastic, or
pay
~£300 for a concrete one???

Anyone got any first hand experience of whether the plastic ones

stand up
the test of time?

Fraid not. But it will always look like a plastic one, so - for a

more
natural look (and yes I know real otters are actually flesh 'n

bloodG) -
I'd recommend looking out for a couple of second-hand concrete ones.

A good alternative is to paint the plastic object with one of the
2-component synthetic resins and then gently sieve dry sand over the
surface before the resin sets. The covering may proceed piecemeal if
necessary. I have made an excellent "stone trough" by applying this
technique to an old glazed earthenware kitchen sink.

Franz