Old 26-07-2004, 07:02 PM
how

Default I'm back - with a filter question

"gng" wrote in message
snips

I have a 2500 gallon pond with Sequence 1/4 hp, and Aqua Ultra filter and

UV
It was installed a few years back and was wonderful until this year.

Local pond stores are telling me to upgrade both filter and pump. The are
recommending the 1/2 hp Sequence 7200 and the larger Aqua filter that is
made for a 4000 gallon pond.
1. I was thinking of just upgrading the pump for now to get better flow
for the waterfall. Any problems you can see with keeping the existing
"undersized" filter and just backwashing daily?

2. The current filter is pretty clogged. I could take it apart, but that
is a huge mess. Do you believe the pond store that is telling me that a
1/2hp pump will blow out all the poop and eliminate me mucking with this?

am trying to avoid taking the filter apart unless I have to.

Hi,
Lets start with bigger filters are always better, IMO. Filters don't wear
out they become inadequate. Some mats can wear out because of the wear/tear
of cleaning them but this does not seem to be your problem. Filters don't
work anymore because 1, the fish load increases and overwhelms them. 2, they
are misplaced (sub-gravel) and the pond needs to be 'removed' to clean them.
3, the filter has too much work to do because it was expected to clean all
the stuff in the pond (no filter will clean everything) and is now perhaps
because of pump/pickup placement is overworked, I.E. sucking mulm.
I would take a look at the fish load and if it has significantly increased
pick your favorites and lose the rest. Take a look at the bottom and net or
vacuum it if needed and make this part of your regular maintenance. The new
pump will help the LFS and not you and even if it did 'blow out all the
poop' where is it going to?
Finally if your current filter is too much of a problem to take apart and
clean why get an even bigger problem?
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good