Old 26-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Kay

Default scorpions in Sheerness

In article , Matthew Durkin
writes

I wouldn't advise trying to catch one. I cornered one in Greece as a child,
and was somewhat horrified to find it dispensing with its tail (in the grip
of my hand). They wriggle quite a while after the lizard is gone.
They apparently grow a new tail. Quite amazing.

Slow worms (which are lizards rather than worms or snakes) do the same.
The tail wriggles like fury to attract the predator's attention while
the rest of the body makes itself scarce. The regrown tail isn't a
perfect fit - is slightly thinner than the old one.

I live just north of london. never seen a scorpion, lizard or snake in the
UK. Probably for the better... :O)

Slow worms in abundance when I lived in Sevenoaks. Only place I've seen
lizards is Inner Hebrides. Seen many adders- mainly the tail end
departing as fast as poss - but not yet seen a grass snake.

--
Kay