Old 26-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Shiva

Default In praise of supermarket mini roses.

"Karen"
said:

(Roy) wrote in message ...
They say yu can't really transplant mini
roses very well (the book I have n roses states this) but I have
transplanted about 1/2 of the ones I salvaged, and had no problems.

Those people who tells you that you have to handle mini-rose gingerly
are either never grow the cheap supermarket mini roses or want you to
buy more mini roses. If every one finds out that they can grow
mini-rose easily, who's gonna spend money on a new mini rose each
year.

I think the key is that they are on their own
roots and not grafted. All my own-root roses do
better than my grafted ones, and I am in Zone 7b,
not the colder zones ownroots are known to do well
in because if they die back from cold they can come
back from below the soil line and still be true to
their variety. A good example: Own-root Radio Times,
mown down by an errant gardener, came back in a couple
of months. Muncy's is a great source for everyone
but Californians. (They do not ship to California.) In
particular, I find that Austins and other shrub roses
really flourish on their own roots.