Old 01-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Simon Avery

Default Will I regret not having a skimmer?

(Justin) wrote:

Hello Justin

J Nets are not necessary if predators are not an issue and if
J trees are not dropping their leaves. They are a real help in
J the fall, however, and I would recommend one. Aesthetics are
J key for me and I'd rather not have one. I vouch for the
J bottom drain. I do not have a skimmer, but would like one.
J The bottom drain removes much of the debris and sludge that
J forms in the pond bottom. Best investment made for the pond.

I'd guess this depends a lot on the type of pond. That sludge is very
useful to have in a nature pond.

Been reading this group for a week and it seems mostly to be fish
ponds, am I right in thinking this?

ObIntro: 90% finished on my fourth pond project. A 45' x 15' x 3'
bottom pond (butyl lined), pumped 12' to a 4'x4'x3' square raised pond
in rendered block faced with granite and topped with sandstone via
submersible 200w pump. That overflows into small splash pool/grotto
via slate, which in turns enters a rendered butyl stream edged in
granite and about 30' long. Alas, phots not developed yet.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/