Old 27-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] Root growing from cuttings

At 02:14 PM 7/26/04 -0400, Dan wrote:
I'm having trouble growing roots from hardwood cuttings. I bought a gel
root stimulator and dipped the cuttings in it and put them in a growing
medium. I kept them moist but they havent grown any roots and the've dried
out and blakened. Should I leave cuttings in the gel for 24 hours and then
put them in dirt?..or what should I do? Also, which root stimulators are
better, the liquid ones or powder ones?

I doubt the problem is the hormone gel, but it is possible. Look at the IBA
content on the label. If it is less then 0.1%, it is pretty much useless.
Most hardwood and semi hardwood cuttings require anywhere from 0.1% to 3%
IBA, it depends on the species.

It is more likely that your setup is not adequate for keeping the cuttings
moist enough. There is a good deal of art as well as science to getting
cuttings to root. Rather than go into all the factors here, let me point
you to an article at my website on the subject. If you have questions about
specific species, you can post again:

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/cuttings.htm

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++