Old 27-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Sacha

Default scorpions in Sheerness

On 26/7/04 22:35, in article
51, "Victoria Clare"
wrote:

Tim Challenger wrote in news:NB8Nc.48135$KU.38352
@animal.nntpserver.com:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:26:57 +0200, wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:08:35 +0200, Tim Challenger
wrote:

I'd be surprised if even the cats could actually catch a whole one.
Possibly the twiching tail.

Little green frogs from the neighbour's pond spend whole days being
caught by the cats and returned by us to the pond.

Lizards are significantly more agile than frogs.

... when it's warm. I once found three apparently dead lizards on the path
standing like statues one frosty morning. To my surprise, when I picked
one up, it jerked like a mechanical toy.

As I wasn't sure if this was postmortem action or life, I brought them
inside and warmed them up in an old fishtank by the window. Once they were
back in action, and the afternoon had warmed the paving stones, I let them
out on the path and they vanished like lightening.

If a cat had got hold of them when they were paralysed, they'd have been
munched.

Just a thought *and* a question. WOULD a cat have got them? IOW, were they
playing dead to keep predators away? Maybe and perhaps?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk