Old 27-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Crashj

Default I'm back - with a filter question

"gng" wrote in message ...

I have a 2500 gallon pond with Sequence 1/4 hp, and Aqua Ultra filter and UV

Local pond stores are telling me to upgrade both filter and pump. The are
recommending the 1/2 hp Sequence 7200 and the larger Aqua filter that is
made for a 4000 gallon pond.

1. I was thinking of just upgrading the pump for now to get better flow
for the waterfall.

2. The current filter is pretty clogged. I could take it apart, but that
is a huge mess. Do you believe the pond store that is telling me that a
1/2hp pump will blow out all the poop and eliminate me mucking with this?

I am not an expert, in fact I am pretty new to ponds, but I have been
an aquarium keeper for years. I am also an eBay fan, so beware of my
opinions.

I hate cleaning filters, too, but you have to do it once in a while.
Remember what W.C. Fields said about water, sort of? Instead of
spending $hundreds on a new one, just clean the one you have.
I think the LPS is blowing poop out of someplace, and not with a pump.
It is you money, but if you really want a bigger one, check eBay and
some of the internet houses. I plan on using a Tetra PF1 SUBMERSIBLE
intake filter which will do a lot of prefiltering and has
bio-capacity. The intake is the perforated lid which sits a foot above
the bottom. This might work for you, too. Should take years to plug up
and should be easy to get out and clean. You [and I] will still need
an external filter.
"Just what I think I know"
--
Crashj