Old 27-07-2004, 05:30 AM
escapee

Default Can I transplant trees now?

On 26 Jul 2004 11:29:05 -0700, (Bob S.) opined:

William Wagner wrote in message ...
Dig good sized holes
& slip them out of the pots & into the ground without disturbing the
roots.

What is the current thinking these days?

$10 dollar tree and a $50 dollar hole or is it now $50 tree and a $10
hole.
Perhaps it is somewhere in between? I've seen paint wounds larger than
you thumb to don't use tree paint.

William(Bill)

A forrester told me that there is no added benefit to painting tree
wounds. If it makes *you* feel better, do it. But the tree doesn't
need it.

Bob S.

In areas of the country which have outbreak of oak wilt on mostly live oak
trees, it is suggested no pruning be done during the gestation or active period
which the vector insect spreads the disease. Open wounds are the most prone.
During other parts of the year when this beetle is not active, it is recommended
to paint wounds anything over one inch in diameter. Pruning done during dead of
summer or winter are not usually susceptible to oak wilt, but if there is oak
wilt within a mile of the tree being pruned, it is recommended to always use
pruning paint. Outside of that one example, painting is not suggested any more.

Victoria